Ideas for kids and families during Halloween!
Updated: Apr 24, 2022
BY CLAIRE TOOTH - MONDAY 18TH OCTOBER 2021
Are you trying to think of things you can do with the kids over the half term for Halloween? Look no further as I’ve got you covered with some top tips and ideas to keep them busy and entertained whilst getting the whole family involved!
How many things can you do with a pumpkin?
1. Obviously, the usual pumpkin carving has to be at the top, but it doesn’t have to be your traditional pumpkin face. Why not google some images and get your children to choose their favorite one, then trace out the image onto the pumpkin and start to crave away. My son did a Batman one last year. It was so effective and something different to channel his creativity.
2. Painting pumpkins has become quite a popular thing to do and it can look really effective. For this method, it's best to use acrylic paint or PVA glue mixed in with the paint. Why not add some glitter?
As the streetlights shine, the pumpkin glistens, standing out even more. I love glitter pumpkins, they look great and the kids love painting too.
3. Pumpkin soup is easy to make and also great to get kids involved in preparing the vegetables, helping to peel and chop, and after all the trick or treating sweets and chocolate, it's a great healthy evening meal. But why stop there, you could even make some homemade bread with them too. My kids love it. Here is a great recipe I've tried at home from BBC Good Food.
4. In the buildup to Halloween, visiting pumpkin farms is great fun and has become all the more popular in the UK. You can pick your own pumpkins from the fields in all shapes, colours, and sizes. As it's October, don't forget to wrap up warm, wear your wellies and take the children - although adults love it, children love it more. The entertainment starts when you watch the children pick their pumpkins, place them into their mini wheelbarrows, and it tips over every 5 minutes.
4. Trick or treat with a difference! Instead of the usual trick or treat, we walked around our local town to see how many pumpkins the children could spot, whoever spotted the pumpkin first, got a prize.
This is great because the children still see all the Halloween decorations, got to dress up, and still got their little bags full of treats.
1. Youtube: Awesome Pumpkin Carving Idea
2. Country Living: History of Halloween
3. Good House Keeping: 48 Fun Halloween Games for Kids at Their Halloween Party
How to make pumpkin soup:
2 tsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1kg pumpkin or squash (try kabocha), peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
150ml double cream
STEP 1: Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook 2 finely chopped onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured.
STEP 2: Add 1kg pumpkin or squash, cut into chunks, to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
STEP 3: Pour 700ml vegetable or chicken stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
STEP 4: Pour 150ml double cream into the pan, bring it back to a boil, then purée with a hand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency, you can pour the soup through a fine sieve. The soup can now be frozen for up to 2 months
Finally, we hope these ideas help your Halloween occasions. Have a Happy Halloween and enjoy the half term. Why not send us some pictures of your creations, we’d love to see all your ideas.
#halloween #spooky #horror #october #art #halloweencostume #spookyseason #pumpkin #fall #halloweenmakeup #happyhalloween #halloweendecor #makeup #love #trickortreat #autumn #scary #horrormovies #cosplay #witch #photography #creepy #handmade #michaelmyers #goth #instagood #ghost #costume #pumpkins #cleaninguk #cleanhomecleanmind #siliconespongesuk #ecoproducts #ecofriendly #cleaningmotivationuk #housecleaninguk #cleaningtipsuk #cleaninghacksuk #cleaningcompanyuk #commercialcleaninguk #cleanhomecleanmind #siliconespongesuk #vegancleaningproductsuk #veganlifeuk #cleaningmotivationuk #housecleaninguk #cleaningtipsuk #environmentallyfriendly #amazon #amazonproducts #siliconescrubber, #bathroomcleaningsponge #washingup #sponge #silicone #cleaningsponges, #bathcleaning #hygienehero #washingupsponge #kitchensponges #antibacterialsponge #germfreespong #reusablesponge #ecofriendly #kitchtool